SENIOR GRAPHIC DESIGNER:
Major international media outlet
A leading English-language business news outlet is currently seeking an energetic and internationally minded Senior Graphic Designer to join our rapidly expanding and evolving newsroom.
The Senior Graphic Designer will take a leading role in creating innovative layouts and infographics across all platforms, print and digital by using Adobe Creative Suites and data visualization tools such as QGIS and D3 coding.
The position provides a great opportunity for professional growth through staff training (e.g. QGIS, D3 coding). The ideal candidate will be dynamic, self-motivated, open to change as the news industry changes, have the confidence and imagination to visually present complex topics as well as be self-motivated to stretch beyond current storytelling forms to enhance the reader experience.
The Senior Graphic Designer will report to the editor-in-chief. You will work under the direction of the design editor and the design manager. The designer will work closely with other members of the editorial staff as well as junior designers to ensure the accurate and timely delivery of print and digital material.
Annual report design experience is a plus. Experience working in a fast-paced, international news/media environment even more so. The Senior Graphic Designer should be a challenge seeker with a strong collaborative spirit and the ability to deal with stress under tight deadlines.
• Work closely with editorial and design team to achieve a shared goal while keeping brand consistency
• Concept development and execution of magazine covers
• Identify, propose and execute design ideas that will further enhance the experience and expand readership
• Translate raw data into creative, easy-to-understand visuals that work across web, mobile, SNS and print
• Assist with commission and directing work from outside illustrators
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in design-related field
• Minimum of 5 years of design experience (in a newsroom environment preferred, but not essential)
• Expert knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign a must. Experience working with mapping software a plus (Google Earth Studio, QGIS)
• Experience designing editorial content in English and/or designing annual reports.
• Portfolio that displays a strong design ability: typography, illustration and concept development
• A considerate team player with a professional attitude
• Able to articulate design concepts clearly and professionally to non-designers (desk editors, writers, etc), provide honest feedback in a constructive manner
• Ability to create engaging original graphics accurately under tight deadline that are visually consistent with the brand image
• Illustration, photography, moving graphics
• Typography, data visualization (infographics)
• Collaborative spirit, willingness to learn from, teach and inspire those around them
• Aware of current design trends in the media industry
• Interest in current affairs, international politics and business news
• Excited to grow, learn new skills, software to keep up with the rapidly changing media industry
If you or anyone you know is interested please contact me directly for more information.