Thanks to everyone who came to Canvas Round Table #2 last night! It was a wonderful night of freeform group chat, meeting new faces, sharing and learning, and of course drinking.
The evening’s discussion included:
● Personal introductions - getting to know each other.
● Sales and marketing for small creative brands - Building brand awareness and selling products outside of marketplaces such as Society 6.
● Is the crowdfunding economy (Patreon, Kickstarter etc) motivating creatives to leave freelancing and try other methods of supporting themselves?
● Medium.com - What makes people publish on it? Is it really that great? How is it dealing with the problems of a growing platform?
● How to respond to the question “what’s your rate”? Why it’s important to know before someone asks you.
And some issues we covered regarding Canvas:
● Are creatives finding work via Canvas? Are businesses finding creatives to hire via it?
● How will Canvas help more creatives find work in the future? Where will these businesses come from?
● Should Canvas be a place for businesses and creatives to work together, or should it just be a social platform?
● How Canvas can improve its search and filtering tools to help businesses more easily find suitable creatives to hire.
● How Canvas needs to motivate creatives to share more of their best creations so businesses can quickly judge their suitability for a project.
● How members can get involved in organizing their own Canvas events and get involved with other aspects of the Canvas community.
● Success stories - members shared their experiences of finding others to work, collaborate, and make friends with.
The evening’s attendees:
And the Canvas/Tacchi Studios team who were present:
We're looking forward to the next one already! Hopefully we can make it a monthly thing in the future.
Wonderful drawings of the group by Luis Mendo