The Thing is about the problematics of design, designers, and design history. It is an 88-page zine that examines thorny aspects of design, designers, and design history.
(Also, The Thing glows in the dark.)
– Netflix binge-watching as a metaphor for lived experience
– Problematic relationships with objects
– Earthquakes which turned into literal firestorms which claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people
– Japanese graphic design history
– Picking locks
– Secrets behind how to edit
– Guilt and Shame
You can see a microsite that I designed for The Thing here: http://thing.wordshape.com
I'm a graphic designer, design educator, design critic and design writer who has been based in Tokyo for 14 years.